A key component of this toolkit to better enhance the experience for the end user: the client. Incorporating cultural and linguistic competency strategies is especially important when designing and delivering programs and services:
- A culturally and linguistically competent staff is better able to discuss healthcare beliefs, needs, and preventative care without being hindered by cultural differences or barriers.
- When healthcare professionals are knowledgeable of and respectful towards the needs and beliefs of diverse patients, they are able to be more responsive to these needs to bring about positive health outcomes.
- Clear and culturally sensitive communication is important to connect with and engage patients who may be distrustful of healthcare professionals after negative experiences within the healthcare system.
These resources will help you to:
- Communicate with clients in a language and customs that are understandable, supportive and welcoming.
- Effectively access and utilize bilingual and interpreter services.
- Utilize levels of collaboration that are mutually beneficial and involve individuals who are representative of the diverse consumers/customers in the target area to improve services and programs.
- Improve satisfaction among clients.